Friday, July 17, 2015

Visual Impairment Simulation 5/18/15

This was WAY harder than I thought it would be and I probably struggled with it the most! Right when I got home I put the first one on and went to make lunch. Trying to be my healthy self I started getting what I needed out of the fridge to make a salad. It was a disaster! I missed the bowl when I tried to put the lettuce in and I spilled ranch all over the floor. My roommate was sleeping on the couch and I was having a hard time not screaming in frustration. Then even eating was hard. There was ranch all over my shirt so I had to go change my clothes which was also hard with the mask. Sometimes I couldn't tell if it was the lack of seeing that made it hard or just having a mask on. Sometimes I felt like the mask was what the huge inconvenience was haha. That was definitely the most frustrating part of the whole experience, the rest of the four hours I just hung around my house and talked with my roommates and did some homework which was also extremely difficult. We live in an apartment with a spiral staircase and my roommate was trying to throw my something from the upper level and I could not catch it to save my life. It ended up being a game that we played for a while and everyone would laugh at me. I wasn't too happy about it haha. Then I went and ran some errands with my roommate and I got many weird looks in walmart. It was honestly hard just navigating through. I always thought I knew what it would be like to visually impaired but I really had no idea. It was a different kind of hard than I thought and it made me gain a new appreciation for people who live with that every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment