Friday, July 17, 2015

5 hours of Service Learning

I LOVED my time during service learning! For my five hours of service learning, I would go to the weekly activities on campus called "Hands" and "Life Skills" on Thursdays and Wednesdays. I was so excited the first time I went to Life Skills, because when I got there a girl named Katie showed up. Katie has down syndrome and is the sweetest girl you'll ever meet. I grew up in a little town called Aberdeen, Idaho and Katie used to live there! When I was in middle school we always did musicals together, she was in my young women's, and I even went to her birthday party that was a High School Musical theme and she danced for us and everything! It had been about 7 years since I had seen her and I was SO excited to see her. She even remembered me and we hung out the rest of the night. We played soccer with Jason and Katie kept getting frustrated because Jason was kind of a ball hog and he made all of the goals. So I really tried to uplift Katie and make her feel better and try to pass her the ball more so she could make some goals. And she did! Another highlight was the talent show prep and everyone showing their talents! It was awesome and they all did so good. Jason was hanging out with me and said, "so should I call you hot chick or girlfriend?" And I said, "call me Whitney!!" And he continued to say, "girlfriend it is!" hahaha. I love being with these kids who have special needs. It reminds me of all my kids in Ecuador that I spent 3 months with. They are such a huge piece of my heart. I love my major, and I am so grateful for their sweet spirits in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment