Friday, July 17, 2015

Learning Disability Experience 7/13

This was extremely difficult, whereas the wheelchair and visual was more of a laughing experience for me, this one was not. I had THE hardest time talking. I swear - every word I wanted to say when asking for what I needed at the store had an n or an l in it. I went to Walmart and needed foundation, eyeliner, cotton balls, and a candle. Well would ya look at that! Every single one of those had an n or l in it. So I ended up asking, "do you have a mop?" He showed me where they were and on the way there he tried keeping conversation with me. You could tell he felt bad for me and noticed some type of disability. When we got to the mops I realized I couldn't even say thank you. I was trying so hard to think of a way to say thank you in a different way and just decided to nod at him trying to say "thank you" through our minds. After that we went to Mcdonalds. There was nothing I wanted more than a mcchicken and a Dr. Pepper and I wasn't going to change my order, I had to find a way to say it. "May I have a mcchick?" "A mcchicken?" "Yes a mcchick." I'm pretty sure he thought I was crazy. "Dr. Pepper." "and a Dr. Pepper?" "Yes, Dr. Pepper." I hated it. I hated it all. I felt super inconsiderate the whole time mostly because I couldn't say thank you and I acted like I couldn't talk, which I pretty much couldn't. I have so much more sympathy for these kind of people now and I know this experience will help me have more patience with everyone I ever cross paths with.

No comments:

Post a Comment